We need to beat swords into plowshares.

We need to beat swords into plowshares.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What do we get continuing to work in the Democratic Party?

This is a good conversation going here.

@Bob; you state, "that just builds the imperialist dem party - and what do you get? clinton? what?"

In general I pretty much agree with you; but, I work inside and outside the Democratic Party... not to build the Democratic Party (I do support a few candidates from time to time... I worked hard for Democrat Mark Dayton for Governor of Minnesota... he was elected) but I work mainly around issues... I think it is possible to push issues and solutions to problems in a way where those working in the Democratic Party and those working outside the Democratic Party begin to merge into a powerful movement for real change. I realize this is a controversial strategy but you know, most people working in the Democratic Party at the grassroots level are very good people sincerely seeking change of all kinds. Very soon most of these people understand the tight choke-hold and strangle-hold big money/corporate money has on the Democratic Party and the limitations this imposes.

For many, many years I have been an advocate for building a labor-based people's party similar to the New Democratic Party in Canada.

I recently supported efforts by a fledgling new party here in Minnesota, the Warriors for Justice:

http://nativeamericanindianlaborunion12.blogspot.com/2009/12/mn-dfl-candidate-greg-paquin-calls-for.html

In my opinion, if done correctly through agreement it should be possible for liberals, progressives and the left to forge powerful alliances around issues irrespective of party affiliations.

It is possible that I am wrong--- lol!!!!--- if I am, explain; I'm listening in earnest... we really do need to get this resolved very quickly or we are all going to be suffering... like lots.

The last thing I want to do is try to convince anyone the Democratic Party is going to be solving our problems because it certainly isn't going to... but, do we just abandon people still working through the Democratic Party?

I was reading a facebook discussion a friend of mine, Sally Robbins, was having with Bill Fletcher of the "Progressives for Obama;" quite an interesting discussion:

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=133141146743155&id=100001624762510

I think it is quite obvious this group of "progressives" is going to continue backing Obama in 2012 and in my opinion this is very unfortunate.

By-the-way... I voted for Cynthia McKinney in 2008 and I wouldn't hesitate to vote for her again. But, wouldn't it be nice if we could all agree on a slate of candidates committed to specific issues to run outside of the Democratic Party in 2012? It would be even better in my opinion if we could find someone to challenge Obama in the primary and if that person lost would be committed to run outside of the Democratic Party in the general election.

I posted a couple pictures of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King discussing the possibility of uniting to accomplish specific goals and objectives and they had quite sharp ideological differences... I would think if they could come to the point of meeting for this purpose a lot of us should be able and willing to come together to challenge Wall Street's agenda which includes keeping us trapped in this two-party trap.

I would think our immediate objective, electorally, would try to find Bernie Sanders a little help in the Senate and the House.

No comments: