We need to beat swords into plowshares.

We need to beat swords into plowshares.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Should tax-payers provide the Ford Motor Company with more financial incentives to keep the St. Paul Ford Twin Cities Assembly Plant operating as Ford continues its blackmail schemes of threatening to shut down this operation unless tax-payers continue to subsidize its profits? Two opinions…

Note: This commentary by Mitchell Frazier appears on the Minnesota Public Radio web site… It is interesting to note that MPR has never tolerated a discussion on public ownership of the St. Paul Ford Twin Cities Assembly Plant even though public ownership of auto plants and nationalization of the auto industry has served many countries, communities and auto workers very well. For alternative views check out:

http://capitalistglobalization.blogspot.com/

For other views check out my blog:

http://thepodunkblog.blogspot.com/

 

The link to this commentary is:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/07/09/frazier/

 

So far, Minnesota Public Radio has refused to publish my comments about the need for public ownership as briefly stated below.

 

Photo: #Mitchell Frazier, Minneapolis, works at Ford's Twin Cities Assembly Plant in St. Paul.

Larger view

Mitchell Frazier, Minneapolis, works at Ford's Twin Cities Assembly Plant in St. Paul. (Submitted photo)

Commentary

Ford plant's workforce is worth keeping intact

by Mitchell Frazier

July 9, 2010

St. Paul, Minn. — For three years now, the Ford assembly plant where I work has been on borrowed time. Ford wants to close the St. Paul plant and stop making Ranger trucks in North America. The Ranger is all we make, so if the Ranger goes, we go.

When Ford announced its plans to close the plant, it gave us a choice: Take a buyout, or take your chances. Those who took a buyout would give up some of their benefits and their job security, but they could keep working for a while. Those who refused the buyout might keep their jobs, but they would risk being transferred to another plant.

I chose the buyout. Short-term reprieves have kept the plant operating, so I'm still working. As of now, my job will end in September of 2011, when the reprieves run out and Ford idles the plant.

But I hope it doesn't happen, and not only because I like my job.

I take great pride in what I do. At the end of the day, I can look myself in the mirror. I know I've done 10 hours of work for 10 hours of pay. And I know that the product I put out is a good one.

A friend of mine was in an accident in a Ranger, and if it hadn't been built the way it was, he wouldn't have lived. I feel confident in every caliper I put on that truck, and I feel confident in the next person. These are highly motivated, well-rounded people who want to do a good job. They know what they do and do it very well.

It's a workforce worth keeping intact.

And Ford is an employer worth keeping in Minnesota. People don't realize that Ford has been making cars here for almost 100 years. The Ford Centre, in the shadow of the new Twins ballpark, used to be a factory that turned out Model T's. It's on the National Register of Historic Places. And in Highland Park the company has been building cars or trucks for 80 years.

I went there 10 years ago because it was steady work that paid better than the theater jobs I'd had until then, but many people have been there all their careers.

I know what the plant means to their families, and to mine. So when a politician or a civic leader speaks up about saving the Ford plant, I pay attention. There's been a lot of such talk in the last few years, though not much else.

Now city and state officials have offered Ford a package of incentives under the state's CARZ program. They are even raising the idea of buying the buildings and land and leasing them back to Ford, to give the company an infusion of cash. They recognize that the land has value, the plant has value and the workforce has value. To have any chance of keeping Ford here, the city and state needed to make a bold initiative. I think this is a bold initiative.

A man who works near me said it isn't going to do any good; he doesn't know why they're making the effort. I'm not of that opinion. It's a great first step. I hope it works.

--

Mitchell Frazier, Minneapolis, works at Ford's Twin Cities Assembly Plant in St. Paul.

 

My opinion which MPR refuses to publish---

Tax-payers have subsidized the St. Paul Ford Twin Cities Assembly Plant from the very first over 80 years ago--- including providing the Ford Motor Company with free, clean, green hydro power.

Ford made the profits and left tax-payers with the bill.

What tax-payers subsidize tax-payers should own... not just the buildings and the land; but, the profits, too.

Tax-payers have even subsidized the wages and paid for a modern training center.

The Ford Motor Company doesn't deserve to have tax-payers providing an "infusion of cash" because the management and investors created their own problems; now they want Ford workers and tax-payers to solve their financial problems when both tax-payers and Ford workers have been left out of the decision-making process for over 80 years.

Tax-payers already have underwritten the cost of this operation as Ford reaped huge profits year after year... the time has come for tax-payers and workers to operate and manage the St. Paul Ford Twin Cities Assembly Plant under public ownership... by rights, the entire auto industry should be nationalized and run and operated by an elected board of workers and tax-payers.

Sometimes I think many people forget that it is workers who create all wealth as Wall Street coupon clippers, investors and corporate CEO's like Ford's live like parasites off this wealth. As long as this scenario continues, problems will continue to haunt Ford workers and all Minnesotans. Public ownership is the solution.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site mnmarxist.blogspot.com
Is this possible?